TAKE A PEEK | My Travel Makeup Bag #001

Last Sunday I had a quick trip up to Wellington for a couple of days (blog post coming soon!) and decided to document what makeup I took with me. And it's also a good indication of what my everyday makeup consists of. Obviously it is hard to whittle down the products to take - specifically in the blush and eye department - but I had to pick some of my favourites at the moment to take with me.

My silver makeup bag was an absolute bargain - on sale for $5 from Cotton On (brought last year).

So it may seem like a lot of products, but I have split it up into categories, so without further ado...


STEP 001. PRIME
My favourite primer at the moment is the Look Beauty Prime Perfect Primer, it smooth the skin and preps it ready for foundation and also helps the staying power of my makeup.

STEP 002. BASE
The days I feel like not using a foundation I opt for the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB in Light, which provides enough coverage but also feels light on the skin.
For the foundation days I use a mix of Almay Pure Blends Foundation in Ivory and the L'Oreal Matte Morphose Souffle Foundation  in 110 Rosy Ivory. I find the Almay foundation to be quite dewy, so I use this first and then use the Matte Morphose over top and blend out together to create a more matte finish.
To set it all in place I dust the much loved,  Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder in 001 Transparent (need to get a new one ASAP!) over my t-zone and chin to further mattify my foundation.


STEP 003. CONCEAL
I love the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Under Eye Concealer in Fair, it's smooth and blends out easily under the eyes and covers up pesky dark circles. For blemishes my most favourite Maybelline Dream Mousse Concealer in 03 Sand is an absolute must in my make up bag - it covers amazingly and blends out well.


STEP 004. CHEEKS
I use the Bourjois Paris Bronzing Powder all over my face where the sun would naturally bronze and focus it on the cheekbone area for slight contouring. I love this bronzer as it is matte but has a tiny amount of shimmer which just gives a natural glow. For blush I had to take 2 (covering my bases here), a coral/peach colour and a more lilac/pink blush - MAC Sheertone Blush in Peaches and MAC Mineralize Blush in Sakura.



STEP 005. EYES

For all the neutral eyeshadows you could want I brought with me the MUA Undress Me Too Eyeshadow Palette - great value for money and they are pretty pigmented with matte and shimmer shades. For eyeliner, my trusty Covergirl LineExact Liquid Liner in 600 Very Black and the Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner in 005 Nude - perfect for lining the bottom lash line to brighten your eye and make you look a bit more awake. And my favourite mascara of the moment the Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara in Very Black.


STEP 006. LIPS
The one lip product I can't live without is Vaseline Original, I've used it for years and years, day and night and is an absolute staple. For lipstick range, I couldn't decide on just one, so covered the colour range with a nude, peach and a pink with Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick in 642 Nude Delight, Topshop Lipstick in Whimsical and Rimmel Kate Matte Lipstick in 101.


STEP 007. SET
The final step for long lasting makeup is a fixing spray - most brands do their own variations but I am currently using the MUA Pro-Base Fixing Mist - if you have caked on a little bit to much powder or your foundation isn't looking to flash, spritz this on your face and it helps to smooth everything out as well as setting everything in place.


THE TOOLS
Lastly the all important tools for all the application. Starting in my Real Techniques brush holder, left to right: Bronzer Brush (no brand), Real Techniques (RT) Blush Brush, 2x Eye Shadow Brushes (no brand), RT Duo-Fiber Contour Brush, RT Contour Brush, RT Duo-Fiber Eye Brush and RT Buffing Brush. I also have the BYS Kabuki Brush for powder application and finally a Manicare Eyelash Curler.

So they are all my travel essentials! Obviously I like to change out products and the next travel makeup bag is likely to include different products but this is what I am currently using on my face.

What are some of your essential travel items? Let me know in the comments!

back to top