MOST LOVED | January '14


The month of January has come to its enviable end, and with that, I rounded up all the products I have been loving over the past 31 days. It is a mix of some new products and some older ones which have been getting a bit of love recently. I've also included a few extra favourites at the end.


BEAUTY


001. e.l.f. Makeup Mist & Set
I came to the end of my MUA makeup setting spray so moved onto this e.l.f. one. I'm still not sure what one I prefer but I like that this one has aloe, green tea and a lot of other vitamins; I also think that this has a fine mist. I really love how refreshing this is and the fact that if you have over powdered it helps to blend everything and give a more flawless finish.


002. Garnier BB Cream Miracle Skin Perfector for Oily/Combination Skin in Light
As a loyal user of the Maybelline BB Cream, I decided to branch out and try the Garnier one which I am very much enjoying. I think it gives slightly better coverage than the Maybelline one, especially just wearing it on its own. It also hasn't broken me out at all, which worried me after reading a few reviews saying that it had caused a lot of breakouts. Using this means that I don't use as much foundation, which lets my skin breathe a lot more.


003. Benefit Cosmetics They're Real Mascara
At first, I wasn't entirely sure about this mascara, as I had such high expectations from countless rave reviews - but now the hype is real! I love this mascara, it gives insane volumes and length, builds up without clumping and lasts on the lashes for hours on end without flaking. Using other mascaras now just doesn't give me the same effect that I can get with They're Real, I am now a true Benefit convert.


004. MUA LUXE Velvet Lip Lacquer in Criminal
I can't believe how great these lip lacquers are from the new MUA Luxe line. I have a post from my haul here with swatches and links - these are so worth getting your hands off. Number one - they are super cheap at £3.00 [around $6 NZD] - number 2, the pigmentation is incredible (we are talking 1 swipe of bright, opaque colour) and number 3, they stay on the lips for around 5 hours without needing to touch up or reapply. I have already ordered the other 3 shades as I fell in the love with the 2 I bought initially.


005. Revlon Super Lustrous Matte Lipstick in Pink Pout
For a more neutral, everyday colour, this offering from Revlon has been on my lips nearly every day. It is a lovely lighter pink, which still looks natural on the lips. Despite the matte finish, it isn't drying at all and very comfortable to wear. This is easily one of my new favourite lipsticks and goes with any makeup look; be it bold or more natural.


006. NYX Love in Florence Eyeshadow Palette in Sunsets With Sophia
For eyeshadows, I have, of course, still be loving the Urban Decay Naked Basics [which will be a forever favourite], but I have really enjoyed using this one from NYX. It has 5 shades; 1 matte brown and 4 shimmers in various neutral tones. It is a great compact size and the pigmentation is really good and the colours remind me a lot of the Stila In The Light palette, making it a cheaper option, also a great one for travelling with.


007. Australis High Lights Mineral Face Highlighter in Pearl
I've been loving a bit of a cream highlighter as I think it lasts slightly longer than powders do, especially during the warmer months. This has a pink sheen to it and you can see swatches and prices from my haul post here. The pump top means you get the perfect amount out without wasting any and a little goes a long way.


008. Real Techniques Essential Crease Brush + Setting Brush
Real Techniques will be another forever favourite so I was very happy to add these brushes to my collection this month and they have gotten a lot of use. Both of these brushes came from the exclusive Sam's Picks Set which I have a full post about here and these have been standouts for me. The Essential Crease brush is perfect for blending shadows and also adding depth to the crease. The Setting brush is perfect for setting under eye concealer and putting powder around the nose for a more targeted application. This has also been my favourite brush to use with the new Benefit the Porefessional powder, which I will, of course, be posting all about very soon!

FASHION // ETC.


009. Supre Floral Print Kimono
I've loved kimono style tops for a few years now, and when I saw this one in Supre [of all places!] I knew it had to be mine. I have worn it so much the past 2 months and love how bright and floral it is and can put a smile on anyone's face. I get a lot of compliments when I wear it and is great to just add some colour to a plain outfit. It was NZD $50.00, and they had various prints and patterns which will probably be still available in store.


010. Rings
Working in a jewellery shop is a good and bad thing. I am surrounded by amazing gemstones and jewellery pieces and learning a lot but on the other hand, my bank account hasn't been doing a lot of growing. I love wearing a different one each day and nearly have one in each colour (well not quite, but I'm getting there). From the black box, clockwise around; Karen Walker Cat Ring, Blue Topaz, Labradorite, Moonstone, Amethyst, Dark Pacific Pearl and Larimar ring.

MUSIC

011. Spotify
I am probably very late to the Spotify game but I hadn't really thought I would use it much as I have a lot of music on my iTunes, but it turns out I really like it! It's great to have on my phone to use on the go and also really good for discovering some new music. The main thing I like is that you can listen to whole albums for free without actually buying them first, meaning I can really decide if I love an album enough to purchase it. You can follow me on Spotify, search my name 'Cass Thompson'.

I sure did love a few things this month, so let's all wave goodbye to  January and say a big hello to February - for me it means finishing summer work and starting back at uni... always a tricky transition to put the intellectual brain back on!

Comments

back to top